We currently have an opportunity for a Waste Operative to join our team. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
Be willing to be trained in all aspects of the waste co-ordination activities and responsibilities and any required waste of safety & environmental legislative training courses.
Assist the Waste Manager with:
- Collection, co-ordination, control and loading of waste consignments
- Help supervise the movement of waste skips and FEL bins
- Operative will supervise waste loads being discharged to road tankers on a regular weekly basis as well as assisting with loading flatbed vehicles with palletised waste
- To assist in the compliance of the site waste management procedures and escalate to the waste manager any site issues concerning waste
- To deputise for waste manager during absence and ensure periods of absence do not overlap where possible
- Labelling wastes as necessary in compliance with current site procedures, hazardous and other waste regulations and road transport regulations with respect to dangerous goods by road etc
- Planning and arranging on site storage of packaged wastes, such wastes to be recorded in readiness for consignment from site.
- To work in close conjunction with the Waste Manager and production departments to help ascertain future waste arisings
- Help arrange that all sub-contractors / hauliers attend site at the agreed or prescribed time to ensure that no delays or interruptions to the Client’s main business is experienced
- Assist with ensuring that adequate and safe information is given to the sub-contractors / hauliers for the load to be consigned and that the correct tremcards or other emergency instructions are issued
- Help to ensure that all traffic / waste movements are fully recorded, and records maintained of all waste consignments to and from the Client site - so as to satisfy the Hazardous Waste Regulations requirements for keeping of waste registers (Consignment notes)
- Help to arrange for the sampling and analysing wastes as appropriate
- To help deal efficiently and effectively with any requests / concerns / complaints from client
- Assistance with completion of associated COSHH assessments and risk assessments; implementation of suitable control measures and timely review of risk assessments
- Help to produce waste reports and provision of key performance indicators (KPIs) and waste movement metrics to management.
- Help with the administrative burden within the waste management processes, paperwork, compliance processes, QA & documentation, using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook email and SAP database.
- To develop a working knowledge of company policy and procedures, along side the client’s policies & protocols
- Use of fork lift truck and willing to be trained in any skill gaps within driving and operating a fork lift truck and in banksmen duties
- Carry out routine tasks on a daily/weekly basis as defined by the Waste Manager
- Undertake training which may be required to fulfil duties
- Carry out duties in accordance with company procedures
- Review each task on completion to ensure the required standards have been adhered to
- Keep equipment and supplies clean and in good working order, store
- Ensure duties are carried out in accordance with site and company H&S requirements and procedures.
- Keep work and rest areas clean and tidy.
- Ensure that a clean uniform is worn at all times.
- To undergo continuous training and development relevant to both the company and the client site.
Hygiene, Health and Safety
- Comply with all Company & Client policies, site rules and statutory regulations relating to Health & Safety, safe working practices, hygiene, cleanliness, fire and COSHH. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards in your work place and training of staff.
- Understand and comply with all relevant waste legislation
Personnel and Training
- To attend a PDR with your Line Manager and to agree and take ownership of your training and development needs.
- Attend Company and Legislative Training Courses as requested.
- To take adequate steps to ensure the security of Company and Client property and monies under your control
- Maintain good client and colleague relationships
- Ensure that all written communication represents a professional image to customers, clients and staff.
- Action customer complaints by escalating to your line manager where necessary.
- Comply with any reasonable instruction from your line manager within the agreed deadline.
- Comply with all Company policies/procedures and client site rules and regulations.
- Carry out other reasonable tasks as directed by management.
- To organise and manage ad hoc activities promptly and efficiently.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum GCSE level education
- Full driving licence with at least 2 years driving experience
- Ability to work without supervision as well as part of a team
- Willingness and aptitude to be trained in any skills gap & positive approach to learning in role
- Good awareness and understanding of health, safety and environmental
- Minimum IOSH Working Safely or equivalent safety accreditation
- Good computer literacy and operation of Microsoft Word, Excel and databases
- Good administration skills
- Self-motivated and flexible approach to role
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients, and staff
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Experience of working within a waste, industrial, manufacturing or pharma environment
- Experience of understanding stock movements and/or SAP
- Fork lift truck operator (or willingness and aptitude to be trained)
- Compliance or QA experience
The job is shared between waste & cleaning responsibilities, the successful applicant must have a keen eye for detail and so continue to maintain a very high standard of cleanliness. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.