Shift Maintenance Craftsman – Mechanical (Hard FM)
As Maintenance Craftsperson (Mechanical) you’ll be member of a multi- disciplined/skilled team comprising of 8 skilled craftsmen and 4 assistants, working a 24-hour rotating shift pattern at Central Manchester Hospitals.
By using Specialist knowledge and skills gained from training, experience and appropriate qualifications, you’ll work as part of a team or on occasions work alone, following the Lone Working Policy and using one’s own initiative providing the safe operation and maintenance of a range of complex plant, equipment and control systems over the hospital site. You’ll carry out a wide range of planned and emergency mechanical/electrical activities to a high standard.
In this role, you will carry out your duties in an efficient manner with full awareness, understanding and compliance with the Trust and Sodexo’s Health and Safety, Infection Control Policies and Procedures including the Trust/Sodexo Permit to Work systems.
Sodexo Healthcare is a leading provider of services to the NHS and private healthcare organisations in England. We provide quality of life services that improve patient and staff experience, raise standards and deliver financial benefits to our clients. We help to enhance the patient environment (including patient dining, cleaning/housekeeping, and retail services), provide clinical support (equipment sterilisation) and manage technical estates teams (estates management, asset management, land maintenance and energy management).
- Maintain, test, diagnose and repair faults in complex mechanical/electrical installations, plant, control systems, and equipment dealing with new situations as they arise and passing on knowledge to others
- Investigating the underlying causes of breakdowns or failures and identifying and undertaking remedial action as required
- Assemble and install minor works of both their own and other trade disciplines. (Lock related problems such as digi locks, controlled drug cupboards, make safe broken windows etc).
- Have a broad understanding of legislation and codes of practice affecting engineering works and comply with both these and the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work at all times
- Undertake risk assessments for maintenance and repair works to ensure that works are carried out in a safe manner
- Ensure plant history is kept up to date
- Understand the relationship between their own work and that of other trades and grades of staff
- Learn new techniques and procedures with training where appropriate, attaining the required certification
- Instruct others on aspects of their work relating to their core trade
- Have the responsibility for contacting external contractors and work with these contractors ensuring their compliance with Sodexo’s Health and Safety Policy for contractors. (Medical gas, lift, drains engineers etc).
- Liaise with departmental manager, ward/clinic staff or administrators and observing departmental procedures, (infection control, barrier nursing)
The Ideal Candidate
- Recognised and registered CITB or EITB apprenticeship or an equivalent qualification. Plus A – CGL1 certificate in Course 205 Mechanical Engineering Maintenance part II
- Relevant experience within trade
- Working knowledge of H&S Legislation and HTM’s
- Basic electrical and plumbing knowledge
- Good communications both written and verbal
- Numerate and computer literate
- Effective Team Player
Band 5 spine point 18 - £23,597 (£12.07 per hour) per annum + R & R payment £3,500.00 (£67.12 weekly) per annum plus a split shift payment to the value of £161.17 (unsocial hours), paid weekly
27 days annual leave
Onsite subsidised parking is available for this position charged at £24 per month
Shift pattern as follows:
- 7 x 10:00 pm – 06:00 am
- 1 x Rest Day
- 4 x 06:00 am – 2:00 pm
- 3 x 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- 4 x Rest Day
- 3 x 06:00 am – 2:00 pm
- 3 x 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- 2 x Rest Day
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.