Semi Skilled Maintenance Operative (Fixed Term Contract)
HMP Peterborough are currently recruiting for a Semi-Skilled Maintenance Operative on 6 month fixed term contract.
As a Semi-Skilled Maintenance Operative, you will carry out works on Lifecycle (flooring, painting and decoration, door repairs, plastering etc) as per schedules & pre-set time scales and standards as deemed relevant for skill level and competence.
HMP/YOI Peterborough is the country’s only purpose-built prison for both male and female prisoners (kept separate at all times), including a 12-place mother and baby unit. We are committed to offering education and development programmes to provide residents with the skills required to enter employment on release, so reducing the chances of further offending. Providing creative outlets, such as workshop activities, helps to equip those in custody for when they are released. We use ‘Restorative Approaches’ to bring people in conflict into dialogue. Using a skilled and structured process, those who have been harmed have an opportunity to be heard and those that have caused the harm are held to account for what they have done. We have strong links with the community outside through a variety of partnerships, including our outreach activity Outside Links’ offering support and advice to both residents and their families.
- Carry out works on Lifecycle (flooring, painting and decoration, door repairs, plastering etc) as per schedules & pre-set time scales and standards as deemed relevant for skill level and competence.
- Assist other maintenance staff and contractors within the post holders competence and expertise to achieve Lifecycle deadlines.
- Carry out Lifecycle repairs to high standards to meet contractual obligations.
- Carry out preparatory clear up work before and after any major projects.
- Assist with all other works duties during any major incident or emergency where applicable.
- Help out with escorting duties when and if needed.
- Take responsibility to make sure work areas are kept safe and maintain safety procedure throughout of work, this including issuing permit to works & monitoring tool check sheet.
- Communicate efficiently and clearly with work progress and time scales.
- Keep a record of materials used for Lifecycle and order if necessary.
- Maintain work tools in good working condition and store them in safe and secure manner.
- Report security breaches to FM and security manager.
The Ideal Candidate
- Good DIY skills
- Good organisational skills
- Microsoft Office competent
- Good understanding of Health of Safety in the workplace
- Flexible and adaptability to take instruction
- Experience of working within a secure environment.
- Basic trade knowledge
40 hours per week
Benefits including 28 days holiday pro-rated (inclusive of bank holidays),pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, childcare voucher scheme, free meals on duty and free on-site parking
6 months fixed term contract
Will be required to be on call rota which will include weekends
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those under our supervision and in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within the UK and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.