Roman Catholic Chaplain
HMP Forest Bank are currently recruiting for a Roman Catholic Chaplain (part time) to help to ensure that the diverse religious and spiritual needs of the prison community are met by working in a multi-faith team.
HMP Forest Bank serves the courts of Greater Manchester and maintains strong links to the local community with a focus on resettlement. We aim to deliver quality of life services and support people to change their lives for the better.
Opportunities for learning and developing work-ready skills are on offer for all who come in to custody, but our commitment to reducing reoffending in local communities does not end at the prison gate. We support people released from custody through innovative partnerships in substance misuse services in Bury and Oldham, working with people to maintain recovery and lead law-abiding lives.
As well as the 16 residential units on site, there is a healthcare centre, gym, library, workshop complex, visits hall, chaplaincy and kitchen. The prison’s capacity stands at 1,460, holding adult men both on remand or sentenced and young prisoners between the ages of 18-21 years.
For more information on working in Justice within Sodexo please see Careers in Justice
- Serve the needs of prisoners and staff by supporting religious faith and practice within the prison.
- Work together to create an ordered and caring community where individuals can discover and practice their religion and develop and strengthen appropriate links with their family and faith communities.
- Support prisoners of all faiths through facilitating religious prayers and teachings of faiths representative of the prison population.
- Participate in the Team meetings and other establishment meetings when necessary.
- Take on when necessary and appropriate generic chaplaincy duties including applications, new receptions, visiting prisoners in Separation and Care and in Healthcare centre.
- Represent the prison and company to the local community.
- Encourage the faith community outside the prison to take an active interest in the rehabilitation of prisoners.
- Help prisoners prepare for release.
- Work with other chaplains recognising and respecting the integrity of other faiths and promoting peace and co-operation.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of working in a similar role.
- Have the necessary recognition from lead faith authorities.
- Ability and wish to work with clergy and volunteers of different faith backgrounds.
- High level of inter personal skills including assertiveness and self-motivation.
- Proven experience and skills in pastoral care, including crisis events.
- The ability to challenge inappropriate behaviour.
£16,671.20 per annum plus benefits including free parking, flexible benefits scheme, free meals on duty, pension and shopping discounts.
20 hours a week - will be working 2.5 days including Sundays. Other days flexible working.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those under our supervision and in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within the UK and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.