We currently have an opportunity for a Research Technician to join our team. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
- Preparation of a wide range of sterile media, reagents and agar plates
- Maintenance of established cell lines including expansion, passaging, harvesting and plating of cells & preparation of competent cells
- Support HTE (High Throughput Expression) work using the Biomek Fx automation yeast platform
- Carry out isolation of PBMCs and other blood cells from whole blood
- Carry out Molecular Biology based tasks including bacterial transformations, purification of plasmids and PCR
- To order reagents and lab consumables as required through the appropriate on site ordering systems
- To undertake routine lab housekeeping including preparation, maintenance, cleaning & calibration of laboratory equipment such as automated liquid handlers, biosafety cabinets & incubators. To carry out sterility checks routinely.
- To be responsible for maintaining a tidy and efficient laboratory environment
- To undertake daily liaison with scientific staff and other team members
- Ensure compliance with all relevant working instructions, agreed protocols, SOPs and Risk Assessments
- Comply with all occupational health and safety rules and regulations. Be aware of hazards and recommendations for safety improvements if necessary
- Operate to approved quality standards (e.g., GLP/GMP)
- Maintain QA systems by keeping accurate records of work undertaken, methods used and results achieved
- Recording experimental results as required
- Work flexibly depending on team priorities and support requirements
- Perform any other reasonable duties as requested by the line manager
The Ideal Candidate
- BSc in a relevant subject (e.g., Cell biology, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology) or equivalent experience
- Some experience of working in a laboratory environment
- Previous experience of cell culture and/or Molecular Biology techniques would be advantageous
- Ability to follow protocols consistently and to produce accurate records
- Ability to prioritize and work to deadlines
- Strong computer skills
- Good team-working behaviours, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Able to work on own initiative
- Good customer focus
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support exforces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.