Prison Instructor - General
The Learning & Activities Department delivers a wide range of educational and vocational activities for the 700 residents and seeks to invest in a passionate, open-minded, patient and innovative instructor to join the team. Reporting to a Team Leader, the role would suit someone with extensive knowledge and experience in core skills and art & craft studies, who possess the patience and ability to pass on these skills and experience to others in the knowledge that this could help to change their lives for the better. The position is diverse, thought-provoking and challenging/rewarding in equal measures.
Sodexo Justice Services is a custodial services company with a reputation for delivering high quality services through its philosophy that everyone can develop and make changes for the better. HMP Addiewell is a learning prison, with a strong and concerted focus on learning not to reoffend, relevant skills training and employability and we work with all areas of the wider community to ensure residents have the best possible chance of leading positive lives following their release.
- Teach a wide range of general study classes (core skills including literacy, numeracy, computing, personal development, distance learning courses, creative writing, business studies, art and more) to residents at various stages of competency and with different learning styles.
- Encourage, support and sustain residents seeking to broaden their life and practical skills
- Ensure compliance with relevant teaching, quality assurance and testing/assessment guidelines
- Create positive opportunities for those residents and promote benefits of achievement.
- Liaise with prison staff, allocations staff and actively recruit new.
- Provide a wide range of progressive and stimulating material to residents in conjunction with an overseeing tutor.
- Prepare residents for assessments where appropriate and encourage demonstrable learning outcomes.
- Utilise these skills as means of focusing residents on alternative life choices to criminality.
- Contribute to the preparation of residents who wish to further their education post-release.
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience in a training environment or who can demonstrate they have the necessary skills to teach challenging individuals
- SCQF Level 7 in a teaching discipline or willing to work towards;
- An interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
- Ability to deliver a range of subjects or courses to learners
- Strong organisational skills – both in terms of people and materials
- Ability to adjust teaching style to suit different learning styles.
- Excellent communication and good organisational skills.
- Good problem solving skills and a team player.
- Ability to work as scheduled evenings and weekend as required
40 hours per week, Salary circa £25,000 per annum plus excellent benefits (including free meals and parking, group discount schemes and pension with 28 days holiday)
Occasional evening and weekend work will be required
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those under our supervision and in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within the UK and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.