Legal Counsel (Commercial)
Sodexo is a world leader in Quality of Life Services operating in 80 countries across the globe backed by nearly 427,000 employees.
In the UK and Ireland, our 35,000 people are improving the quality of daily life for customers at more than 2,000 client locations across all market sectors including offices, hospitals, schools, defence sites, prisons, sporting events and visitor attractions. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business. The business enjoys an unrivalled reputation for building enduring partnerships with its diverse range of clients, through relationships based on trust and exceptional performance.
An outstanding opportunity has arisen for an excellent commercial solicitor to join our in-house legal team to provide high quality commercial and strategic legal support to its Sports and Leisure business segment. Sports and Leisure has unrivalled expertise in hospitality, catering and logistics at airport lounges, historic venues, cultural destinations, racecourses, sporting stadia and major events.
The role is based in our Salford Quays office but there is the opportunity to work flexibly from home, subject to department policy.
We envisage that candidates with around 3-5 years PQE contract and commercial law experience will have the relevant skills/knowledge for this position.However, this is an approximate guide for applicants and all candidates with relevant skills and experience will be considered.
You must have good academics and have trained in a leading City or regional law firm.It is essential that you are able to demonstrate a strong track record in negotiating and drafting commercial contracts and in-house experience would be advantageous.
You should be an able, outgoing and solutions-oriented lawyer with business acumen, who is comfortable working within an entrepreneurial and driven environment. You will work closely with directors and managers in the business and so you must demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to build relationships and credibility at all levels within Sodexo.
This is an excellent opportunity for a commercial solicitor to join a company which values its employees and offers a collegiate and friendly working environment.
- Provide effective legal and commercial advice and assistance as required by the Segments/Functions supported
- Draft and negotiate contracts
- Assist the Segments/Functions supported regarding the assessment and management of legal and commercial risk
- Train the Segments/Functions supported on legal, commercial and regulatory issues
- Help to ensure that business is conducted in accordance with relevant law and Sodexo’s internal governance processes
- Instruct external lawyers and manage external legal fees under appropriate supervision
- Work collaboratively with all members of the UK&I Legal Department
- Provide preliminary advice on disputes
- Advise on regulatory compliance
- Comply with company policies and Legal Department processes
- Act within area of work and seek guidance where appropriate
- Support a range of standard and bespoke contracts and queries with relatively low to medium levels of revenues, complexity and impact
The Ideal Candidate
About the Company
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.