As a QHSE Manager at our Colchester Garrison site you will take full responsibility for the health, safety, quality & environmental issues on site. The site is vast & you need to be experienced within both soft & hard facilities management. Therefore, you must be knowledgeable of food safety, cleaning, building management & technical services.
You will be required to follow up with contractors once work has been carried out & undertake risk assessments whilst liaising with the wider team on any issues you have identified. You will therefore need to be an excellent communicator & embrace health & safety whilst also ensuring safety walks are undertaken regularly with the contract director & in some instances being innovative with new ideas where health & safety is concerned.
You will be a member of the senior leadership team on site & so will be asked to attend weekly meetings to update your colleagues on any issues identified within the site around health & safety & you will also manage a small team whilst reporting directly into the contract director for the vast site. The site contains gymnasiums, swimming pools, large food halls amongst other buildings therefore you must be familiar with food safety & hold relevant qualifications along with the relevant health & safety qualifications also.
You will be expected to work proactively with managers to establish and maintain safe systems of work and a safe environment for colleagues and customers. To ensure that there is a provision of competent safety advice to all managers and front line staff across Colchester and to liaise with the client and Sodexo Defence HSE Executive on safety matters on both an emergency and routine basis. provided To ensure that a develop programme is in place and support is provided for the safety advisor.
- Develop and lead the operation and promotion of an integrated management system, encompassing a pro-active environmental, health and safety culture across the regions. Utilising the Sodexo management system policies and procedures, including risk assessment, accident prevention, health initiatives and acknowledged personal responsibility.
- Facilitate the maintenance and management of environmental health, safety and well-being through systems, audit/ inspection and the establishment of high standards and expectations on employees of service excellence and safety awareness behaviours / performance.
- To maintain an Integrated Management System audit programme for Health & Safety, environmental and Quality standards and to ensure that all units are audited every 6 months through effective deployment of the trained auditors within the contract.
- To report on the performance of the IMS system at Management review meetings, and use this as a forum for any improvements.
- Advise on matters relating to the Environment and Health and Safety at work including the obligations and responsibilities of managers and employees; and provide comprehensive and practical advice to managers on best practice.
- Undertake environmental health and safety planning, including the setting of goals, agreeing priorities, and establishing adequate systems for performance management.
- In conjunction with the Learning and Development Manager, assist in the delivery of comprehensive operational technical training to promote, develop and sustain a positive Health and Safety awareness culture throughout business operations
- Provide appropriate accident investigation methodology to ensure personal management accountability and improve risk management, including monitoring and interpretation of statistical data and formulate into a monthly report
- Management of client relationships and expectations relevant to the job role. Maintain formal and informal communications with clients, Sodexo Defence HSE Executive, sub contractors and customers. A positive pro-active approach must be made to the client as well as being supportive to their needs
- Compliance to all company/contract, documentation, audits and administration procedures are carried out to the company standard
- Legislative compliance, ensuring that all HSE aspects of the business are conducted in accordance with all relevant statutory requirements and Codes of Practice
- To ensure that support is given to the Health and Safety and Quality Management team in ensuring the Quality Management System reflects current legislation, best practice and company policy.
- To develop and ensure delivery of the Contract audit programme ensuring close outs of action plans are adhered to within the stipulated timeline.
- Investigation of Health and Safety issues with in the contracts and if required Segment.
- Liaison with the external quality auditors on initial assessments and the co ordination of subsequent surveillance visits ensuring Safegard and the Quality Lead are kept informed.
- The planning and coordination of quality assurance training for Company staff including;
- Familiarisation Training
- Internal Auditor
- Lead Auditor
- Being the tutor for this training where practicable.
- Ensure a personal development plan is in place and that CPD is kept up todate, this must include both hard and soft FM skills
- To ensure a professional development programme is in place for the Safety advisor
The Ideal Candidate
- Level 6 Safety Qualification
- Level 4 Food Safety Qualification (or to be met within 6 months)
- Experience in hard FM safety including CDM
- Certificate level environmental qualification
- Internal auditor in an ISO standard
- Good organisational and communication skills and production of concise information.
- Ability to prioritise, work to tight deadlines, both prescribed and self – imposed.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships at all levels.
- 5 years’ experience of managing safety in a similar environment
- Able to demonstrate achievement of continuous improvement in the workplace
- Responsibility for a management system operation
- Member of IEMA
Competitive salary of up to £46,000 DOE plus benefits including pension, bonus and flexible benefits.
As part of our commitment to improving the quality of life for our employees, Sodexo offers a flexible benefits scheme, allowing you to tailor a reward package to suit your needs which includes a technology scheme, private dental insurance, travel insurance, gym membership, Gourmet card, private medical insurance and the ability to purchase or sell annual leave to name but a few.
We also offer Sodexo Discounts site promoting discounted mobile phone tariffs, savings across restaurant chains and days out, where you and your family can save money on everything from your weekly food shop to the latest cinema blockbuster.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to further engage ex-forces personnel and reservists. Those applying for roles with us who meet the essential criteria advertised under the ‘ideal candidate’ on the vacancy advertised are guaranteed to progress within the selection process.