Head of Healthcare
Sodexo Justice Services is a custodial services company with a reputation for delivering high quality services through its philosophy that everyone can develop and make changes for the better.
Awarded a bronze accreditation by Investors in People, HMP Peterborough is one of the largest prisons in the UK and demonstrates custodial excellence in many areas with an emphasis on risk assessment, addressing comprehensive needs and forming strong links with the community outside which all contribute to reducing reoffending.
The Healthcare Service team is central to maintaining prisoner well-being. The Head of Healthcare is matrix managed, reporting to the Prison Director and Head of SJS Healthcare.
The Head of Healthcare will lead the healthcare team through a period of development – reinforcing best practice whilst improving service provision to respond comprehensively to the needs of the prisoners, team members and internal/external stakeholders.
- Overall responsibility for operational management, development and support of the health services team with the aim of improving healthcare services in line with HMIP and CQC requirements.
- Provide strategic management support to the Director and Senior Management Team on a range of clinical, operational, people and business issues
- Lead, inspire and manage the clinical managers and nursing teams – including efficient use of personal development plans, CPD, NMC Revalidation and non-clinical coaching opportunities
- Ensure robust Governance is in place and appropriate audit process is undertaken. Improve compliance with clinical standards and governance – including writing and implementing new procedures/guidelines where required
- Ensure appropriate clinical staff undertake clinics
- Provide the provision of management supervision to senior staff.
- Ensure clinical supervision is available as required.
- Build and maintain effective relationships across the Prison estate and with internal and external agencies
- Review the existing procedures within the department, develop a comprehensive delivery plan and then implement improvements
- Oversee staffing, recruitment, workforce planning and effective development and integration of services
- Ensure a safe and secure working environment for staff and patients
The Ideal Candidate
- Health and Custodial experience at senior level and/or NMC registered with RGN qualification and extensive post-registration experience
- Evidence of adopting/implementing new or best practice in a healthcare environment
- Educated to degree level.
- Working knowledge and awareness of applicable and relevant prison and healthcare regulatory bodies and clinical regimes
- Team management/leadership experience with the ability to form strong, multi-disciplinary relationships
Whilst previous senior management experience would be highly valued, Sodexo pride ourselves on recognising and developing talent and values attitude as highly as experience. Thus we will always entertain applications from candidates that are ready to take the next step in their careers.
- Ability to think clearly and act decisively in consultation with the GPs and healthcare team and explain the logic behind both to internal and external stakeholders and your team
- Good listening and problem solving skills
- Strong Leadership ethic – capable of inspiring loyalty and belief especially when changes are required
- Strong, demonstrable track record of personal development
Competitive plus excellent benefits including free meals, free parking, group discount schemes and pension with 26 days holiday
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.