Chemical Stores Technician
We currently have an opportunity for a Chemical Stores Technician to join our team. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
- To retrieve and dispense requested chemicals against requisitions
- To source and order chemicals for Stevenage chemistry and biology departments using appropriate databases
- To liaise with suppliers to ensure best practise and availability
- To track and follow up on orders
- To record all chemical movements onto a chemical inventory database (ICARUS)
- To manage the chemical inventory database
- To be responsible for the registration of commercial compounds
- To assist with the disposal of chemically contaminated empties and out of date chemicals
- To interconvert chemical names into structures and vice versa
- To work with other team members with the organisation of the chemical store
- To maintain an up to date inventory of chemicals held on site
- To ensure safety information is accurately entered on to the databases
- To ensure timely and accurate reporting of data including performance metrics.
- Comply with all occupational health and safety rules and regulations. Be aware of hazards and recommendations for safety improvements if necessary
- Liaison with scientific staff and other team members
- Assist with the preparation of SOPs and Risk Assessments
- Work flexibly depending on team priorities and support requirements
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in a Chemistry or related discipline with a minimum of 2 years working in a laboratory environment
- In depth chemical knowledge and understanding of organic chemistry, structures and stereochemistry
- Basic understanding of relational databases and experience in some programming is desirable but not essential
- Ability to understand customer requirements
- Good customer focus
- Be self motivated and able to motivate others
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Experience in writing technical procedures (SOPs, Work Instructions) and safety related documents (Risk Assessments)
- Computer literate
- Good written and oral communication skills
About the Company
Sodexo is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland (Scotland).
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors.
With an annual turnover of over 1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.