Apprentice Commis Chef
An opportunity has arisen to join our small closely-knit Sodexo Catering team at Unilever Port Sunlight, working across both Breakfast & Lunch services.
There are no essential qualifications needed however maths and english will be assessed as part of the interview process. You will receive full training and be required to work to strict Food Hygiene Standards & Health Safety polices / procedures.
Working with Sodexo will open many avenues of progression and provide the opportunity to start working in a prestigious Catering and Facilities Management organisation, which covers sectors of Healthcare, Corporate Services, Education, Leisure, Military & much more.
Led by our Catering Team leader and working with and alongside our Chef, you will be involved with both hot & cold food production and service, across our Main Restaurant & Satellite assisted self-help Grab & Go offer.
The main duties will consist of but not be limited to:
- Preparation and service of a full cooked Breakfast
- Assisting our Chef and the wider Catering team with fresh food preparation, working to recipe cards and a Menu Cycl
- Assisting in the preparation of our daily Salad Bar
- Supporting the planning & production of our fresh daily Baguette offer
- Fresh season produce will be used, so the apprentice should be passionate about food quality & presentation
- Various cooking processes will be used so an understanding of different cooking methods and procedures will be required
- Support our Chef with food orders and stock, so after training needs a good understanding of stock control, stock rotation, stock taking, ordering and general kitchen compliance / processes
- Use all our Catering equipment such as blenders, mixers, slicers, fryers, combination ovens, steamers, grills, induction hobs, hot counters & bain-marie's etc. So a mature attitude towards working safely is essential
The Ideal Candidate
- Confident enough to handle and resolve issues, to the required outcome
- Passionate about standards and have good attention to detail
- Team player
- Hard working and positive
- Flexible approach
- Good communication skills
- Able to work unsupervised and able to use own initiative
- Able to keep and work calmly under pressure
- A General interest for food and pride in your work and appearance
- Be able to work to and meet deadlines
- A willingness to learn
Candidates must be over 18, in-order that they are permitted to use all the catering equipment, required to complete the role.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to further engage ex-forces personnel and reservists. Those applying for roles with us who meet the essential criteria advertised under the ‘ideal candidate’ on the vacancy advertised are guaranteed to progress within the selection process.